Windstream announced it is upgrading its Kinetic Internet network in North Georgia to deliver 300 megabit-per-second (Mbps) internet speeds. The upgrade will make 300 Mbps available to 67,000 households in 13 communities.
What can North Georgian’s expect?
- Download five of your favorite songs in two seconds or three full albums in 22 seconds
- Seamlessly stream on-demand content with no buffering or download three HD movies in only six minutes
- Multiple users in your home simultaneously streaming HD content
Now let’s talk about Kinetic Gig Internet. Windstream continues to expand its fiber-to-the-home, One-Gig Internet service to eligible customers across 43 Georgia communities.
What is a gig? It is broadband service with up to one gigabit-per-second download speeds (or 1,000 Mbps) and provides the best Internet service to meet your household’s needs.
According to Tom’s Guide you can do everything you already do online but much faster:
- Stream video: All that bandwidth means lag-free Netflix, even when you're watching different shows on different devices at once. But the real improvement is in streaming 4K which uses four to five times as much data as a traditional 1080p stream.
- Online gaming: Anyone who has ever lost a match due to a laggy connection will appreciate the switch to One-Gig speeds. With matching up/down speeds, you'll never again need to worry about slow ping rates and spotty connections giving gamers the edge to rise to the top of the scoreboard
- Immersive media: Ultra HD streaming is just the tip of the iceberg, as faster upload and download speeds make more immersive media, like 360-degree video and VR, more accessible. As higher data capacity goes mainstream, you can expect new media formats to take advantage of this, just as streaming video exploded when broadband became mainstream.
- Data backup: Traditionally, backing up data has been centered around local storage, like external hard drives, especially for data-heavy uses like videos. With the move to One-Gig speeds, expect more cloud capability and backups that you can access anywhere, anytime.
- Multiple users: Finally, the biggest reason to switch to One-Gig speed isn't only to satisfy one prolific data hog, but rather several users. A family of four can max out a broadband connection quite easily with little more than a movie marathon and a round of Grand Theft Auto online, but One-Gig speeds promise to support far more data simultaneously, making it possible to stream music in the kitchen, 4K video in the living room and a game in the kids' rooms without a hiccup.
Find out which Kinetic Internet speeds you qualify for by entering your address here.