DISCLAIMER: Windstream technical support does not provide troubleshooting support for this topic. This information is provided for your convenience. Please do not contact Windstream technical support in regards to setting up your Playstation 3.
When using Windstream's Broadband connection on your Playstation 3, you may come across issues with online gaming. This may be due to the NAT type (Network Address Translation) enabled on your connection from your Playstation 3 to the Windstream-provided router. The Playstation 3 breaks down the different types of NAT on your network connection:
- Type 1 - Connected directly to the internet (no router/firewall).
- Type 2 - Connected through a router properly.
- Type 3 - Connected through a router without open ports or DMZ setup for Playstation 3.
On NAT Type 3, everything should function properly, but you may have connection, voice chat or other issues.
Under normal conditions, everything will function correctly regardless of what NAT type is showing. However, it is generally recommended to set up your Playstation 3 so that it can get Type 1 or 2 NAT. Most Windstream customers have a modem/router combo (Speedstream 4200 or 2Wire Home Gateway), so Windstream's recommendation is to get Type 2 NAT.
The first thing you will want to do is check your network connection to find out what your current NAT type is. Follow these steps:
- On the home screen, select Network Settings under the Settings group.
- Select Internet Connection Test.
- You may receive a warning about your Internet connection being disconnected. Select OK.
- If your screen shows NAT Type 1 or NAT Type 2, your existing Playstation 3 setup should be fine and you do not need any adjustment on your setup. If it says NAT Type 3, please select Back all the way back to the home screen.
- From the home screen, select Network Settings, then select Internet Connection Settings.
- On this screen, select Custom.
- For the IP Address Setting screen, select Manual.
- On this screen, you will need to input each of these settings. You can use the numbers on this screenshot for your setup if you'd like. If you are not connected through a Speedstream 4200 or a 2Wire Home Gateway, these example settings will not work. Please contact your 3rd party router manufacturer for these settings.
- Please NOTE - You will want to set the last number of your IP address high enough that other wireless or wired items on your network will not have a conflict with your Playstation 3.
- After you have finished placing all of these settings, press the X button to save them. Your Playstation 3 will perform another Inter